Specialist in Education with a major in Educational Leadership
The University of West Georgia is the state's best in preparing certified leaders. As the state's largest and most successful program, UWG developed nearly one-third of Georgia's newly certified leaders in 2020.
The current Georgia Leadership Rule defines the Tier 2 programs (Tier 2 Certification Only and Tier 2 Educational Specialist) as advanced level preparation reserved for leaders in leadership positions as defined by the Ga PSC. The Georgia Leadership Rule requires candidates have the time and opportunity to lead authentic and genuine school improvement initiatives in a residency experience.
For detailed information on the Ed. S. program, go to the Educational Leadership program webpage.
Program Specific Admittance Guidelines
- Must have "Tier 1", "L", or "PL" Certification in Educational Leadership
- A Masters degree from a nationally or regionally accredited institution
- Be employed in a leadership position in a local education agency (LEA) as defined by the Georgia PSC
- Be recommended by Superintendent or designee based on local district requirements (System Approval Form)
- 3.0 or better cumulative GPA on graduate work
- Georgia PSC Ethics for Educational Leadership - Test 370
- Copy of valid Georgia leadership certificate
- Written partnership with school district
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges