Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), M.Ed.
The Master of Education with a major in Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages degree is a fully online program that prepares practicing educators to be teacher-leaders in TESOL. This advance program prepares teachers to educate an increasingly diverse population of students in Georgia through inclusive practices. The program focuses upon teaching students who are culturally and linguistically diverse within multiple program models with core courses in language development, literacy, methods, curriculum, social justice/equity, collaborative practices, and content area teaching strategies in reading and writing. Individuals majoring in TESOL receive the ESOL Endorsement after the first 2 semesters in the program.
- Online Graduate Admissions Application-There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts-Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in sealed envelopes from the institution.
- Evidence of teaching certification in any P-12 area or departmental approval (may particularly apply to international applicants)
- Personal Statement-You will upload your statement into the online application. The statement should be 1-2 pages and address the following: 1) Your professional training, interests, needs and concerns; 2) the nature and quality of your professional experiences; 3) specific issues you plan to address during the pursuit of your Master’s degree; and 4) why you have chosen a career in teaching English learners.
- Personal Resume-You will upload your resume into the online application. It should document education, teaching experience, community service, and your record of leadership.
- Two Personal Letters of Recommendation-Please do not use the online recommendation system. Your letters should be on letterhead and from sources that can address your success in teaching, your ability to succeed in graduate study, and commitment to student achievement.
- Interview-A personal, phone or SKYPE interview is required. Candidates will be contacted by the program coordinator to schedule the interview.