Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies with a concentration in World Language Education
This online graduate program is for multilingual students who are seeking a master’s degree with an initial teaching certification in a world/ foreign language such as Chinese, French, German, Korean or Spanish (grades kindergarten through 12th grade). The Master of Interdisciplinary Studies in World Languages Education leads to a teaching degree with a clear and renewable (T5) induction certificate in Georgia with a step advance on the pay scale above the (T4) certification only. The interdisciplinary nature of this program affords the opportunity to explore multidisciplinary teaching with the possibility to pursue an endorsement (ESOL, DLI, Urban Education) or to deepen your mastery of the target language and cultures.
This program integrates principles of social justice and equity and is grounded in educational theory, research and best teaching practices. Throughout the program, students take specialized education and content courses and gain practical experience in kindergarten through 12th grade teaching. Faculty support teacher candidates in planning, instruction, assessment and reflection with colleagues, faculty and partner schools who are committed to excellence in education.
All applicants must meet the College of Education and Human Development’s requirements for admission to graduate study. Additional requirements specific to this program include:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree or the equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum 2.5 undergraduate GPA
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Successful completion of a Foreign Language content exam–either the GACE content exam or ACTFL OPI and WPT
- Georgia Educator Ethics (360)
- GACE Program Admission Assessment
- Goal Statement (statement should describe interest in teaching and background experiences with the target language use such as study abroad, family connections, travel, or favorite coursework)
- Two Letters of Recommendation