Master of Public Health (MPH)
Public health professionals are in demand! Georgia Southern University’s online Master of Public Health degree will give you the training you need to join the rewarding public health field.
The demand for public health professionals is at an all-time high. COVID-19 is just one example of how important this work is for your town, your state, your nation, and the world.
Don’t wait to join this rewarding, worthwhile career.
No GRE Requirement
Support may be available for MPH Public Health Informatics
Two online concentrations to choose from:
Applied Public Health
Public Health Informatics
MPH Applied Public Health students will complete a broad-based hands-on program of study with the flexibility to tailor their focus with more guided elective options. The focus of this master’s degree is on public health education, information and advocacy. Students will apply their skills and knowledge to become a front-line public health practitioner/public health leader.
Level of Online Program Delivery
100% Online, No Attendance Requirements
- Application - Completion of an application in Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS).
- Degree - Completion of a Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution.
- Transcripts - Official transcript(s) from each college or university previously attended. A transcript is required even if the courses from one school appear on the transcript of another school. (NOTE: SOPHAS will NOT process your application without receiving all official transcripts. Please refer to the SOPHAS FAQs page for instructions on HOW TO SEND TRANSCRIPTS.)
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Visit http://www.wes.org/ to view which documents are required for your country and to request an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) Course-by-Course Report
- Grade Point Average (GPA) - Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75/4.0 scale in either:
- Upper division undergraduate courses; OR
- Upper division graduate courses
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), taken within the last five (5) years sent to school code 8560. The GRE is only required for the MPH in Epidemiology.
- English Language Proficiency - International applicants and U.S. Citizens whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Prior to consideration for admission, international applicants whose native language is not English must take and post acceptable scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (http://www.ets.org/toefl) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (http://www.ielts.org) unless they have received a degree from an accredited college or university in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, or New Zealand. The TOEFL and IELTS examinations are administered at various times of the year and in many centers throughout the world.
- A score of at least 75 (internet-based test, IBT) or 537 (paper-based test) on the TOEFL and 6.0 on the IELTS is normally required to be considered for regular admission. The official TOEFL and the official IELTS scores may not be more than two (2) years old. Those who do not meet the minimum proficiency standard may be recommended for enrollment in University English courses or for English courses offered by the English Language Program (ELP) on campus. Successful completion of Intensive English Programs (IEPs) at other English Language Program (ELP) providers will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Request that your official TOEFL scores be sent directly to SOPHAS. Official IELTS scores should be sent to: Georgia Southern University, Office of Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 8113, Statesboro, GA 30460-8113.
- Letters of Recommendation - Three (3) letters of recommendation. It is strongly advised that two letters be from individuals who can address your past academic performance and it is encouraged that the third letter is from a work or internship supervisor.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume - A CV/Resume that includes the following: a) educational experiences, b) professional goals and objectives, c) work history, d) professional experiences, memberships and/or participation in professional organizations, e) experiences in public health programs.
- Statement of Purpose - A Statement of Purpose (500-1000 words) that conveys the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study in public health and how admission into the specific concentration program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
*Some students may be required to take prerequisite coursework prior to beginning the program of study. Conditions of admission will be presented at the student’s first advisement appointment.
Admission may be granted to those individuals who do not fully satisfy the admission requirements. You must earn grades of “B” or better in your first nine (9) semester hours taken at Georgia Southern University following the effective admission term to obtain Regular Admission. A provisional student may enroll in graduate courses leading to a degree and such courses may count in a degree program once the student has changed to Regular Admission. Only credit earned in graduate courses at Georgia Southern University will satisfy provisional admission requirements. Failure to satisfy these requirements will result in an ineligibility to continue studies in the College of Graduate Studies. Provisional students are not eligible for Graduate Assistantship positions.
Area of Study
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
Council on Education for Public Health