Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene: RDH to BSDH Completion
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene degree completion track provides career advancement opportunities for Registered Dental Hygienists who hold an associate degree from a school that is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and are interested in expanding their career opportunities. At Clayton State University, you can continue your education while you continue to work. Study at home, but not alone—through this distance learning program which includes full or part-time progression. Choose an open enrollment, adult learner friendly to expand your professional practice in the rapidly changing world of healthcare delivery in as little as one year. Coursework includes professional development, interactive communication, community roles, health education and research. In the internship course, students have the option of a clinical teaching externship for those interested in teaching or an approved capstone project.
The internship may be completed at Clayton State University’s on-campus dental hygiene clinic during summer or at a CODA accredited program under supervision of dental hygiene faculty (subject to program director’s approval) and satisfies CODA requirements to qualify as a faculty member in any CODA program through educational methodology content. Students not interested in teaching dental hygiene may select another area such as a community dental health facility (subject to program director’s approval). Graduates are prepared for alternative practice, supervisory, administrative, managerial and marketing positions in the dental field. In addition to the clinical role, graduates may also work as educators and researchers.
- Unrestricted current dental hygiene licensure in the United States or eligibility for licensure
- College grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 on 4.00 scale.
- Completion of 45 semester hours of BSDH core curriculum with grades of C (or K or S) or better in all natural and behavioral science, math and Lower Division Major Requirements courses at the time of application and 60 semesters hours at the time of enrollment in the dental hygiene program.
- Successful completion of the legislative requirements.
- Successful completion of transition course DHYG 3101 Prof Dev in Dental Hygiene.
- Satisfactory evidence of overall health status consistent with the performance standards of dental hygiene and verified by a licensed health care professional.
- Graduation from an associate degree dental hygiene program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).